Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Cute & Cuddly Critters!

Hubby and I visited the Point Defiance Zoo and Aquarium this weekend. There were so many adorable little creatures there, I just knew I was bound to find tons of critter-inspired creations on Etsy.

Happy to announce... I was right! Here are some of my favorite zoo animals and goodies inspired by them:

Polar Bears: 

One of my main reasons for wanting to go to the Point Defiance Zoo and Aquarium was that they have polar bears! Our zoo up here in Seattle doesn't have any, and I was really excited! Sadly, when we got there, only one of the four bears was visible, and he was so hot and sleepy that he was hiding, all sprawled out on a rock where we couldn't really see him.

Polar Bear Baby Beanie
Polar bears are pretty cute, but they are nothing compared to this little angel, all dressed up in a polar bear-inspired hat. Look at that little face!

This hat is currently ON SALE at smallishstudio's Etsy store for just $5. 

Owls: 

I have always loved owls... and not just because I'm still waiting for one to bring me my Hogwarts letter. They're so majestic, graceful and beautiful.

Little Owl Antique Bronze Earrings
These little owl earrings are awesome. I love that they dangle off of a wire, creating that long loop. They're also ON SALE right now at bluevelvetdesign's Etsy shop.

Tigers:
Who doesn't like tigers? They look like huge house cats, especially when they're lounging around in their enclosure, like the one we visited this weekend. He looked so cuddly and cozy, just like my kitties at home when they're laying in a sunbeam. Dear husband convinced me that we could NOT take him home. 

Ultra Suede Tiger Bag
In lieu of bringing home your very own big kitty, pick up this tote bag from gracedesign's Etsy shop. It's marked down to $58 (from $68) and there are only a few left, so get yours now!

Elephants:

Elephants are one of my favorite zoo animals!  I miss going to see them at Busch Gardens back in Florida, where they would dance along to the music. One of the elephants at the Point Defiance Zoo and Aquarium was dancing (to no music) and the other one was laying on the ground, sleeping! I don't think I've ever seen an elephant laying down. It was strange, but we did get a pretty good look at the bottom of his feet. 

Vintage Ceramic Elephant Bud Vase
I absolutely ADORE this little elephant bud vase! You can get one of your very own, in a variety of colors, at modclay's Etsy shop. These little guys are just $16.50. I really try not to buy everything I post about, but I may have to make an exception in this case!

Beaver:  

This is actually a new development. I always used to overlook the poor beavers. A few weeks ago, though, I saw some in the wild and they were so cool! There was a beaver in the family-friendly show at the zoo. He was so smart. He cut down a "log" and then dragged it back into his "den". Clever little beaver. 


Woodland Necklace - Brass - Squirrel and Beaver on a Tree Branch
How sweet is this little squirrel and beaver necklace from mylavaliere's Etsy shop? If you ask me, squirrels and beavers are seriously underused as jewelry subjects. Pick up this necklace for just $23.

What are your favorite animals to visit at the zoo?

2 comments:

  1. The elephants said to tell you they miss you too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, elephants are my favorite, but honestly, that beaver necklace is too cool.

    ReplyDelete