Sunday, August 21, 2011

Everybody say hello to Mod Clay!

Mod Clay first caught my eye a few blog posts ago (Cute & Cuddly Critters), when I featured their ridiculously cute elephant bud vase. I poked around their store and found tons of quirky, handmade vintage ceramic pieces. I contacted the shop owner, Laura, and she told me a little bit about how Mod Clay came to be.

Vintage Lantern Owl ($42)

Laura, her mom and her aunt started Mod Clay about a year and a half ago, but didn't really get up and running until November 2010 because the ladies didn't have much experience making pieces out of ceramic. She estimates that it took them around a year to learn the craft, and to really make pieces that they were proud of.

Baby Monkey Coin Bank ($22)

Having previously worked in public health, Laura is now a stay-at-home mom, who loves the fact that her work with Mod Clay allows her to spend time with her two sons. Her mom and aunt work part time, but they hope to one day have Mod Clay be a full-time effort.

Elephant Bud Vase-Kiwi ($16.50)

The most popular Mod Clay item these days is the elephant bud vase I featured before, but when they were first starting out, Laura says that their frog sponge holder was their first best seller. It's easy to see why... the cute little amphibian not only looks great, but serves a purpose.

Frog Sponge Holder ($20)

The frog sponge holder is one of the easier pieces to make, but there are others that Laura states are more difficult, and more time consuming. More detailed pieces, like the ceramic giraffe are more difficult, because many pieces have to be put on separately, and they have to make sure the patterns are clear.

Vintage Ceramic Owl Vase-Flamingo ($26)

You have a chance to get your very own Mod Clay piece, free! The ladies have generously donated a ceramic owl vase (in your choice of colors) to one lucky Live, Love, Etsy reader. All you have to do to be entered to win is go visit the Mod Clay store, and leave a comment below with your name, way to contact you (email address or Twitter name will do) and a link to your favorite item in the Mod Clay store. This contest closes at 11:59 p.m. Pacific time, Friday August 26. Good luck!

And don't forget to follow Live, Love, Etsy on Twitter for the latest news on featured items and contests.

6 comments:

  1. I love the vintage feel of the owl lanterns and coin banks. I am also crazy about the owl toothpick holders, the hen and froggie sponge holder.

    -Christine Wike
    wikechristine@Yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the owls! Actually, I love all of it. But, I'll start by buying an owl. Also, I think it's great she started this business with her family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely LOVE the giraffes! Especially the caramel one. The elephant bud vases are a very close second.
    llaluzerne@ufl.edu

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girrrl, you know who I be.

    Anyways, my favorite item is definitely the orange owl lantern! It is soooo fallish!
    http://www.etsy.com/listing/64848428/ceramic-vintage-lantern-owl-pumpkin

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this site!

    I loved the sponge-holders.
    http://www.etsy.com/listing/73797348/vintage-ceramic-duck-sponge-holder

    ajsteve2@mail.usf.edu

    ReplyDelete
  6. These pieces are incredible and totally cute! I especially love the first owl vase featured on this page.

    madisonlm@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete